Stars in their eyes by Jessica Walton (Illustrated by Aśka)

Reviewed by Bethany, Cerdon College, Merrylands

Stars in Their Eyes by Jessica Walton (Illustrated by Aśka)

Maisie and her mum are heading to Maisie’s first ever fan convention, where Maisie hopes to meet her hero, an amputee actor, who plays a kick-arse character in her favourite show. As much as Maisie is excited to be at the fancon, it is also exhausting and overwhelming, however she then meets Ollie, who is a cute volunteer at the con…

Jessica Walton is a proud disabled and queer author who has written a beautiful story, where disabilities and identities have been explored, allowing various individuals to find themselves represented in a positive way. This has been paired with the stunning illustrations by Aśka, which compliment the story in an amazing way, and really capture the atmosphere that the convention holds. 

I really enjoyed this graphic novel, filled with soft hearted moments, along with the characters ‘nerding out’, which is something which I personality relate to. I find disability representation all too rare in YA fiction, so this book really reinforced the value of this, which I really loved. Furthermore, I also liked how Walton chose to have various queer identities represented in the novel, which really shows the importance of the inclusivity of identities outside of cisgender and heterosexual in media. Overall, I fell in love with the characters and their own stories that were created, I was just left craving more once finishing it.